Informal forms of address
Hey, Lena! – Hallo, Opa!
Hallo, Sarah! – Hi, Tom!
- The informal form of address is used within the family, among friends and acquaintances, and often also among colleagues.
- Friends, acquaintances and family members are addressed by their first name.
- Children usually call their parents Mama and Papa, and their grandparents Oma and Opa.
Formal forms of address
Guten Tag, Frau Kamp! – Guten Tag!
Guten Morgen, Herr Müller! – Guten Morgen, Frau Schneider!
- The formal address is used with unfamiliar adults, in business situations, with officials, or when shopping.
- Men are addressed formally as Herr followed by their surname, women as Frau followed by their surname.
- If you are unsure whether to be formal or informal, use the formal address.
|Guten Morgen!||Greeting in the morning until approximately 11 o'clock.|
|Guten Tag!||Greeting during the day, approximately between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.|
|Guten Abend!||Greeting in the evening from approximately 6 p.m. onwards.|
Grammatical terms in German:
informell: Informal language is used when talking to family and friends.