Saying goodbye: informal
Tschüss, Martina! – Mach's gut!
Bis bald! – Tschüss!
- The informal expressions for saying goodbye are used with family, friends and acquaintances, and often with colleagues.
- Friends, acquaintances and family members are addressed by their first names.
Saying goodbye: formal
Auf Wiedersehen, Herr Tillmanns! – Auf Wiedersehen!
- The formal expression for saying goodbye is used with unfamiliar adults, in business situations, with officials, and when shopping.
- Men are addressed formally as Herr followed by their surname, women as Frau followed by their surname.
- If you are unsure whether to be formal or informal, use the formal expression for saying goodbye.
Grammatical terms in German:
informell: Informal language is used when talking to family and friends.
formell: Formal language is used in formal situations.